Tuesday, November 11, 2014

The Presents of God

I  have found the more I walk, the deeper my faith grows I am enjoying the Christmas season even less. Which I find extremely odd, this is a Christian Holiday isn’t it? But I am finding the very thing that drew me toward the Christmas season is now the very thing that drives me away. If the reason for celebrating Christmas is to celebrate the birth of our savior, how will we ever find Him in the blinding festive lights and ton of flashy tinsel? Maybe our savoir can found behind the three wise snowmen?

As this Holiday season comes barreling in with all of its new and improved gaudy wares I prayed to God for a way to reconnect with the true Christmas spirit. I realize a one man war waged against celebrating Christmas isn’t going to go over well, there are many who find joy in Christmas as it is. I mean no one says I have to get swept up in all the big traditional to do’s to truly enjoy this season. As I searched and prayed for meaning behind the joy of the season I think I found it in one word.

Did I do this right, did I buy a big enough turkey, are the lights bright enough, did I remember to say merry Christmas instead of happy Holidays?  Far too much for anyone to be stressed out about.  I think this year I want to concentrate on something much more meaningful. This can be given and received wrapped or unwrapped. It can take on the shape of anything and yet cannot be contained no matter how hard you try. It gives and it gives filling everyone it reaches with unending joy that can last a lifetime. The one and only gift we will ever need the one and only gift you can give to those who thought they had everything. One size fits most; no way this is a gift that fits all. No lines to wait in, no web surfing required no credit card needed. No more wondering did I get the right color or the right size. You won’t even need a gift receipt.

Instead of the usual Holiday rush and fuss to find the perfect Christmas presents I want to give and receive the presence of God. A little over two thousand years ago in the felids of Bethlehem a savoir was born. Wrapped in swaddled clothes lying in a manger a baby was born, the Son of God given to us with the presence of God inside. The only thing you and I will ever need as already been given, all I want for Christmas is the presence of God.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment