Friday, March 22, 2013

To Know and Be Known

I recently shared with a Duke Basketball fan that while I was at Duke Divinity School, I used to sit with the basketball team at the football games.  This is technically true, but it could be read that I had a closer connection to JJ Redick, Mike Dunleavy and Jason Williams than is accurate.  The full truth is Duke Football was terrible--much worse than it is now.  Very few people went to the games, so those who went all sat very close together.  On multiple occasions I would find my empty bench near the 50 yard line, then the basketball team might show up for a bit finding the empty bench a row or two in front of where I was sitting.

Someone might ask--did you know those guys!?  Well... sure.  I recognized them when they walked by on campus.  I know some basic facts about them--the same facts anyone might find out about a public figure.  But the question that might be more to the point is whether or not they knew me... no, they did not.

To know a person is one thing--but unless that person also knows you, there is no relationship.

If we use this model to understand our relationship with God, then we are the famous ones.  We are the ones whose life is entirely public.  For whether or not we "know God," God knows us.  Jesus taught his disciples to fear nothing because they were valuable and known to God.  "Even the hairs on your head are all counted.  Don't be afraid..." (Matthew 10: 30-31).

In light of this--the only barrier to our having a full thriving relationship with God--our Creator, and Redeemer--the one who already knows us and longs after us is our awareness--our recognition of the work God is already doing in us, through us, and around us.  Where have you noticed God recently?  Let us not be oblivious to God's works of love and mercy surrounding us!  We are known by God, let us be sure to also take the time to get to know God.

No comments:

Post a Comment