Friday, March 15, 2013

Remember Jesus


Below Jeff Vanderstelt preaches that people need to stop trying to be Jesus:





For those of you who did not watch the video (others may skip this paragraph), The basic argument is that only Jesus is Jesus.  After his resurrection, he breathed the Holy Spirit into his disciples and told them as the Father sent me, so I send you..."  He says people need to stop trying to be Jesus, and simply be Spirit-filled disciples who point people to the one and only Jesus.

On the one hand, I'm not sure the distinction between being Jesus and being a Spirit-filled disciple is consequential.  After all, it is through the Spirit that Jesus dwells in us, and so works through us.  In fact, I am reminded of what Paul told the Corinthians, "Imitate me, as I imitate Christ..."

However... this did remind me of Shane Claiborne's visit to the Cape-Atlantic District last week.

Among many things Shane shared, one statement stood out to me, and I have thought much about it recently...  "As disciples we are to live lives that remind the world of Jesus."  After all, among Jesus' last words to the disciples before the cross was, "Do this in remembrance of me."

Too often we feel limited by the fact that we are only human.  Or perhaps you might say, "Well, I'm not Jesus."  Indeed you are not - neither and I.  There is only one incarnate Son of God.  And yet through him, we have all been adopted as sons and daughters of God.  Have you ever spent time with a child and been reminded of their parents?

May others see us, our work, the way we treat one another, the way we love one another--and think... who does that remind me of???  Oh yes...  that's just like Jesus.  Its a high calling, sure--but that's why he didn't leave us to do it on our own.  First he breathed the Holy Spirit.  And Paul said, it is not me, but the power of Christ at work within me...  May we all live lives worthy of imitation!

No comments:

Post a Comment