Monday, July 14, 2014

Thou shalt not... complain?

Do everything without complaining or arguing. Then you will be blameless and innocent. You will be God’s children without any faults among people who are crooked and corrupt. You will shine like stars among them in the world.... Philippians 2:14-15 GW

Another Facebook meme got me to thinking. As many of you know, my mom passed away in May at the age of 97 and a half. Can't forget that half, as she reminded us just the week before she died.

One of the unfortunate memories I carry of Mom from her last few years was the fact that she was always complaining. Nothing was ever up to her standards... her care at the three assisted living homes, yes, three because we kept moving her to try to make her happy; the healthcare associates, the food, her doctor, her apartment... you name it and she'd have a complaint about it. Or two or three. Even when we brought her flowers, she'd study the bouquet and find something wrong with it.

Luckily I have some good memories of Mom to help me forget the complaints... how she took such good care of herself right up until the end, how grateful she was for the small things my sister and I did for her, how generous she was to us.

But like Mom, I'm prone to complaining. Maybe it's in the genes.

Today, thinking about Mom's last years, I pray that I can follow Paul's direction in his letter to the Philippians. "Do everything without complaining or arguing...."

That's a tough one. Maybe I should get it tattooed on my arm so I can read it every day as I get older.

What do you think?


4 comments:

  1. Better than tattooing such reminders on our arms is to tattoo them on our hearts! Thanks for sharing this, especially with the difficult references to your mom. We all are inclined to complain about one thing or another--some more so than others. But I find it such a release for myself when I let go of such things. Sometimes what we learn from the faults of our parents is just as important as what we learn from their virtues. Pehaps in reflecting on your mom's complaining, we can all grow and receive that particular fault as a gift and give thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no...if it is in your genes, does that mean it is in mine too? Don't worry Mom, I'll make sure to reminder you if you are complaining like Nanny as you get older. :-P

    ReplyDelete